Curriculum - Transition Year
Transition Year is a one-year school based programme designed to facilitate the smooth transition from the dependent learning of the Junior Cycle to the more independent, self-directed learning of the Senior Cycle – in effect it is designed to act as a bridge between Junior and Senior Cycle.
The TY programme at Foxrock provides a broad variety of learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom. The student’s experience of adult and working life contributes to their personal development and maturity. This, combined with the advancement of general, technical and academic skills, with the emphasis placed on interdisciplinary and self-directed learning are the cornerstones of the Transition Year programme as it is run by Loreto Foxrock. These aims are interrelated and interdependent and are reflected right across the TY curriculum.
Aims of Transition Year The comprehensive TY programme offered by Loreto Foxrock aims to improve skills and encourage maturity by providing a variety of opportunities to allow for:
- The discovery of personal strengths
- Learning about leadership, co-operation and dealing with conflict
- Working as part of a team
- Developing enterprising skills
- Sample and discovery of new subjects
- Making informed choices on Leaving Certificate subjects
- Building a solid foundation for the Leaving Certificate
- Knowledge of the working world
- Discovery of career opportunities
As a result students explore their own talents and abilities beyond the classroom and can be expected to take on responsibility for themselves and their future.